Many people who own their own homes are worried about pests. For many people, termites are a big concern. At least 20% of homeowners report that termite damage is something that they are concerned about. There are good reasons to worry about the damage termites can cause. It has been estimated that a termite queen can lay as many as 40,000 eggs every day. Some have estimated that more than $2 billion is spent every year in the United States on termite control services. Approximately 15% of all new homes around the country have severe damage to their structures and some of this may have been caused by termites. If you are concerned about termite infestation control, here are some things you can do to protect your house.
- Pay attention to your gutters and downspouts. You need to make sure your downspouts are angled and set to move water away from your foundation. The gutters need to be clear and working well to keep rainwater from getting into your roof. This is important because one thing that termites and other pests are always looking for is water. The more dry your roof and foundation are kept, the better, say people at termite control services companies. You want to make your home as unappealing to pests as you can.
- Keep trees and bushes a safe distance from your foundation. Tree roots can do a lot of damage to your home. Bushes can also be problematic. Both can allow moisture to get to places where you do not want it to collect. When you plant and prune your bushes, make sure there is room for proper ventilation of the area under the bushes that is closest to your foundation. In terms of pest control solutions, this is an important step that homeowners can take to keep their homes free of termites and other pests.
- Keep your firewood away from your home. It might seem convenient to stack firewood and have other wood items near your home. This is a mistake. The wood is very attractive to termites and other wood eating pests. You do not want to leave out a meal for termites to enjoy before they move onto your home. You can make your home less attractive to termites and other pests, say termite control services, by keeping firewood and other wood items away from your home.
- Be careful with your pet food. Many people around the country feed their pets outside. The problem is that this is very attractive for pests. While termites may not be interested in the food you leave out, other pests such as rodents and roaches can check it out and then they do damage to your home that gives the termites a way into your house. Make it a point to put out the pet food once or twice a day and then put it away. Do not just leave it out to allow your pets or other animals to eat it all day. This can make a big difference in making your home less attractive to pests.
- Pay attention to standing water. Standing water can cause a lot of problems for your home. It is a perfect place for the breeding of mosquitoes. It can also act like a magnet for other pests who are always looking for water sources. If you have a problem with water collecting near your foundation or crawl space, you can have a drain installed to get rid of it. It has been estimated that as many as 99% of all homeowners with a basement will have water damage to it at some point so if your house has a basement, you should watch that carefully.
- Walk around and check for evidence of termites. Many homeowners who have problems with termites, notice it in the early spring. You should walk around your home and look for evidence of termites. This is an important part of the termite control process. Learn to recognize the signs of termite infestations.
If you find you have termites, it is important to get a termite control services company come to get rid of them before they have had the chance to do damage to your home.