The kind of flooring in a home makes a big difference in the value of the home. The vast majority of real estate agents, more than 94%, tell their clients to spend some money on the flooring in their home. They like to tell their clients about the added value to home with new flooring. When home sellers spend between $600 and $900, the value added to the home averages about $2,000. When homeowners remodel their homes, the most popular renovation projects are bathrooms and kitchen. The National Association of Home Builders reports that the number one requested home renovation project is bathrooms (78% of all home renovations involve bathrooms), followed closely by kitchens (69%). Tile flooring installation is very popular in these two rooms.
Tile flooring installation is a popular option because it is easy to clean and maintain. It is a popular option for bathrooms and kitchens because it can handle water and other liquids being spilled on it. If you are planning on having this kind of flooring installed in any part of your home, you can make the process go better with the following tips.
- Plan out your design. Before you start looking at tiles or start the tile flooring installation process, you should make a plan. Taking out a sketch pad and actually drawing one up will help you see what you are working with and what your end goals are. If you go online, there are even tools you can use to map out what tiles you want and how you want to lay them out in your space. Your process will go a lot smoother if you have a clear and precise idea of where you want to end up.
- Pick your pattern. As part of the tile flooring installation process, you need to be careful when it comes to how you lay your tile. When you are mapping out your plan, you should decide what pattern you want to have in the space. Think about alternating colors and designs. Some people lay down tile of one color and some use accent tiles to break that up a bit. Another idea is a border around the room with a tile that has a different color or pattern. You really are limited only by your taste and imagination.
- Be careful when you measure your space. In carpentry, there is a saying. They say, “measure twice and cut once.” The same principle can be applied to the tie flooring installation process. Again, there are some tools that you can find online to accurately measure the amount of tile that you will need to cover your space. If you get extra tiles, you will have them available if there are any that break during the process of installing them.
- Pay attention to the temperature of the space. Tile manufacturers will list the temperature that they recommend the tile be installed at. This will make a big difference in how you dry and cure your new flooring. A lot of this will depend on where you live and what time of year you do the tile flooring installation. You may have to adjust the temperature of the room accordingly.
- Take your time with your tile flooring installation. The mortar and grout will need to be given enough time to fully dry the way it needs to. This means, you will have to keep people out of the space for a period of time after the tile flooring installation has been completed. This means that if you are going to want to show off your awesome new flooring, you have to plan that correctly. It also means you may have to make arrangements if you are doing the flooring in your only bathroom or for your entire kitchen. Make sure you take the amount of time you will have to avoid the space into consideration when you are planning this kind of renovation project.
The kind of flooring you pick for your home is very important to the look and feel of a space. Tile flooring has a lot of advantages over other kinds for bathrooms and kitchens and can add value to a home.