Many think of home projects as renovations–that flooring that needs to be torn up, or those stairs that need to be stained, or even that bathroom that needs tile flooring. But many underestimate a crucial part of the home that adds to the ambience and atmosphere: the lighting.
Lighting. The words conjures up images of contrasts between light and dark, like the set of a stage for a play. Light enhances mood. Poor light, on the other hand, lowers it. A room can be vibrant with the right lighting, or cause depression just by the lower levels of it. A bright lit dining area, for instance, can enhance communication, while a dimly lit living room can cause lethargy.
The U.S. Houzz kitchen and bathroom trends studies show a quick picture of how homeowners feel about lighting in their household. The findings:
- In the 2017 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends study, 84% of homeowners renovating their kitchens are upgrading their lighting fixtures.
- In the 2016 U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends study, 67% homeowners who upgraded their master bathroom lighting added wall lights while 50% added recessed lights.
- In the 2016 U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends study, 46% of renovating homeowners cited good lighting as the most important feature of the master bathroom.
Lighting makes a difference in the home.
More and more homeowners are becoming aware of the difference lighting makes, and although it’s not as attractive as replacing floorboards and putting carpet down or painting the walls of a guest bedroom, it still has a demonstrable effect on the home and the atmosphere within it.
There are three types of basic lighting within a home: ambient lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting.
Ambient lighting refers to the general illumination of an area. Indoors, this signifies a basic lamp on a floor or the lighting of an overhead fixture.
Task lighting is generally concentrated, like the lamp on a desk where someone is reading. It also denotes the use of concentrated lighting in the workplace, such as the lighting surgeons need for operating.
Accent lighting is mostly decorative. It is used to highlight certain decorations around the house, such as painting or plants or other interior designs.
A combination of all three is used in homes. Accent lighting can be great when contrasted with a slight degree of shadows, as it highlights the decorations of a home. Accent lighting can be particular useful for highlighting paintings that have a nice use of color. This highlights a home.
If you’re interested in installing lighting fixtures, consider the following suggestions:
- Fluorescent bulbs are five times more energy efficient than incandescent or halogen bulbs
- Lighting accounts for 7% to 10% of all energy output in the home.
- Semi flush lights hang down about one foot from the ceiling.
- Kitchen pendant lights should hand 36 to 48 inches from the top of the counter.
For those looking for the finest contemporary lighting, consider asking a representative at a local lighting company. A representative should know the top lighting brands, such as George Kovac Lighting, Fontana Arte lighting, and Holtkotter lighting.
The finest contemporary lighting can add atmosphere and ambiance to your living room, dining room, and other rooms within your home. The finest contemporary lighting may have a design that feels unique, rather different than the lighting available at the General Store.
Always contact a lighting professional before installing large projects.